Advice from Our Reno Car Accident Lawyer
In the minutes and hours immediately following a car accident, it is easy to be rattled and not to take the appropriate steps needed. This guide on what to do if you have been involved in an auto accident can help you protect your rights.
During the process of pursuing full and fair compensation, our firm can be right by your side at each stage. You do not have to go through this process on your own. Contact Hotchkin Law at (775) 786-5791!
How to Prepare for an Auto Accident
As a precaution for a car accident, it is helpful to prepare an “emergency kit” that you store in the trunk of your car. This should contain:
- Medical information of family members
- Emergency contact name / phone number
- Safety devices: emergency flares, safety cones, etc.
Having these items in your car, can make the process less stressful, smoother, and more effective.
When an accident occurs, what should I do?
When an accident occurs, your greatest concern should be on the health and safety of the involved parties.
To help the police officers and insurance companies investigate the accident, take the following steps:
- Remain calm – Losing your temper will not help you prove your claim, but it can potentially harm it.
- Check for injuries – If anyone is seriously injured, call an ambulance.
- Call the police and remain at the scene of the accident.
- Move your vehicle away from traffic if this is safe – Turn on your hazards and use safety devices.
- Exchange information – Get the names, addresses, license plate information, drivers’ license number, basic insurance information and phone numbers of all involved parties
- Talk to witnesses – Get the names and phone numbers of willing witnesses. If you are comfortable using the video camera on your smart phone video statements from these witnesses.
- Contact Hotchkin Law before discussing the case with an insurance company.